Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weaning Baby




So, I have been trying for a few weeks now to wean Baby. I am sitting here at my computer with her on my lap crying and digging in my shirt. I have fed her lunch and offered her both milk and juice. I tried holding her close. I have tried everything but just giving in. She is now 14 months, it is time. She does fine until she gets tired and needs a nap and then we have a problem. She is so stubborn. I have been reading and studying many sites for advice. Most seem to suggest she will eventually "self wean", as much as I would like to believe this I cannot. She would be happy to nurse all day long if I would let her. I have tried cutting back one feeding at a time. She pulls my shirt down or lifts it up at very inopportune times. If anyone has some advice it would be very welcome. This is my last baby and I guess I shouldn't worry so much.

3 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

So the same thing happened with Johnny. When I was six months pregnant with the twins and Johnny was 17 months old, I decided that I just didn't want to nurse THREE babies at a time, so it was time to wean. Johnny had gotten down to nursing only when he was tired, and it was extremely difficult to get him to sleep unless I nursed him to sleep. In order to start the weaning process, I simply decided that on a certain day, I would just cuddle with him when I put him to bed instead of nursing. He did not accept this and cried for 45 minutes, even so hard as to throw up twice. I didn't nurse him, though, which was a very difficult decision. To this day I still dont' know if that was the right way to go. The next night we tried again, and he cried for about half an hour, but didn't throw up. Both nights I never left his side and let him know that I was there for him and wouldnt' leave him no matter what.
i tried to be extremely patient with him and spoke to him in a loving voice even though I wnted to cry right along with him! The third night we just cuddled and he went to sleep without fussing. For two months after that, I had to cuddle with him to put him to sleep and he became obsessed with putting his hands up my sleeves in order to get to sleep. He also started biting, I believe, as an oral fixation. He is finally getting over that, 8 months later.
Anyway, two weeks before the twins were born, I was able to wean him away from my arm and taught my 13-year-old to put him to bed with a very specific routine. That has worked well and I can now say that after 6 months of weaning him away from nursing in my bed, he now sleeps in his own bed in his own room. I never let him cry himself to sleep except those two nights, but he adjusted fine.
Amanda, I don't know if this helps or not. It's just my experience. Let me know how it goes. :)

Laydee said...

Whatever makes you feel good...as long as she's not snacking after she's potty trained lol...my mom nursed her "baby" like twice as long as the rest of us!

The Sweet Life of Us said...

Soak your boobies in jalapeno juice ...ha ha... J/K! ;)

Where in the world