Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Floor

Recently Dear has ripped out the carpet in the little girls room. We went to Lowes and purchased new flooring. We agreed we wanted to put wood flooring in. After talking to the sales lady, I was convinced laminate was not the way to go. Dear seemed convinced as well. We agreed to buy a new product, and I recall asking Dear several times if this was the way he wanted to go. He may have been hedgy. I don't recall. To make a long story short, the flooring we purchased and he installed didn't work. Yes, it took him a lot of time and sweat to lay the floor. I appreciated the blood, sweat, and tears. So we went back to Lowes. We are watching a friends 3 boys this weekend so, we have a lot of kids. They agree to take the flooring back and give us a full refund. YAY!! Anyway, then we go to Sams with 7 kids. This was not the brightest idea, but whatever. Dear and I have a small disagreement. We end up leaving. On the way home I stopped and got a large Coke and cooled down. Dear came straight home and ripped out the flooring and had it about done by the time I got home. He was mad at me for getting mad, legitimately mad, and according to him I shouldn't be mad because he wasn't mad at me because the floor didn't work out, and I was the one who didn't want to lay down the laminate. Huh? He says I told him I would take the blame if it didn't work. (Which we all know totally doesn't sound like something I would say, but whatever.)
So I have a solution for the next time something like this comes up. When I was a kid my dad always carried a pen in his pocket, not just any pen, a fancy pen. When we borrowed the pen, he made us sign a release, which he would sign in return when we gave the pen back. That way he always knew who had it last and he could not blame us for losing it. I have decided this is the way to go from now on. When we shop for big stuff like furniture, flooring, whatnot, we will have to sign saying we both agreed on this or that. No more arguments. Just one last note. He loaded, payed for, unloaded, and laid the floor, which is something I would never do if I didn't want to in the first place. Maybe I'm just unbelievably persuasive. (Oh I almost forgot, I'm sorry Dear! I was wrong and you were right. Next time I'll just listen to you in the first place. I love you!)

3 comments:

Cass said...

:) I think we could all learn a lesson in agreement from this. At least you can admit when you were wrong. :)

laurice. said...

Wow...I think we should try that!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what is better, the fact that you said you were sorry, or having to sign off on things. Does it work for children, or just the bigger ones that you are married to?

Where in the world